Saturday, February 21, 2009

Birthday Party Bliss

Well, I did officially survive Paige's 5th birthday party. She had 11 friends over which made a total of 13 little people running around my house. Thank goodness for my extra family room! Due to "winter weather" we had to play "tape" the tail on the donkey and whack open our pinata in the middle of my living room. Only one minor casualty in the form of a little boy's nose and the corner of my wall colliding. It stopped bleeding in time for the festivities! All in all I think she had a good day.

I, however, was still forcing coffee down due to the fact that Paige's 2nd tooth fell out at 3am the morning of the party. No big deal right? Get up, tell her how adorable she is, laugh because "mom, it makes me talk funny without my tooth", all while barely openning both eyes. I've now got her back in bed about to leave her room when, "I can't wait to see what the tooth fairy brings me!" Are you kidding me? I went to bed with the beginning of a nasty cold and horrible sinus headache, I am barely coherant at this point in the night and now I've got to figure this tooth fairy business out.

Well, no worries because it is at this time my blessed little Mason decides to get up. Oh, did I mention that he fell asleep at 4:30pm and protested when I tried to wake him up for dinner. Yes, that is right. My son is now done sleeping at 3am. After getting him some milk and crackers to tide him over until "real morning", I head back to bed only to see this little angel about every 15 minutes until 6am. Fortunately Paige has long since fallen asleep. At about 4:30 after reassuring Mason that it is indeed still dark and therefore NOT morning, I remembered my very important fairy task. After leaving a small monetary gift beside my sleeping beauty I went to bed feeling pretty good about my job well done. That is until I remembered that I had 21 people coming over at 10am for a party.

I suppose this is the life of a parent with small children. And I can truly say I love it all. My baby girl is only 5 once. She's got the cutest toothless grin you've ever seen. And although he keeps me from my beauty sleep at times, my son is so sweet. One day he won't need my to keep him company in the wee hours of the morning. So I'll try to enjoy it while it lasts.

2 comments:

  1. Oh those sleepless nights! I so remember just barely getting through the day. Now that they are older I definitely get my sleep, but I do miss those middle of the night snuggles. They grow up so quickly.

    I can't believe our kids are 5! It was just the other day when we moved here that our little ones were in the 2's class. Happy Birthday Paige! You beat Joshy on losing your tooth first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "enjoy it while it lasts"...
    So true! I have to keep repeating this to myself sometimes :)

    Happy Birthday Paige!

    ReplyDelete